In Allegan County, MI, arrest warrants are handled much like in any other state area. The police place a formal request for an active arrest warrant with the local criminal court. The affidavit filed to start the process contains all information available up to that point, such as witness testimonies, evidence, etc. All of this is presented before the court for the perusal of the magistrate.
The sitting judge is legally obligated to act impartially and not favor the police in their quest to apprehend the person in question. In other words, the judiciary retains the right to issue arrest warrants so that the rights of the accused are upheld. Once the judge ascertains probable cause, the warrant is issued promptly.
The original is handed over to the sheriff’s deputies of Allegan for execution, while the magistrate’s office retains a copy of the affidavit and the warrant in electronic and print formats. On their part, the sheriff’s office also retains records of all outstanding warrants with them.
The county clerk’s office also maintains arrest records and warrant details. So, when you are keen on a warrant search in Allegan, Michigan, approaching any one of these departments will get you the information you are looking for. Given below are the addresses of each one of these agencies.
- The county clerk’s office: 113 Chestnut Street, Allegan, Michigan 49010
- The magistrate’s court: Same as county clerk’s office
- The sheriff’s department: 112 Walnut St, Allegan, Michigan 49010
Can you get any information pertaining to Allegan County warrants and arrests over the phone? (2021-Update)
- Information about recent arrests (Corrections)- (269) 673-0500.
- Information on accessing arrest records and police reports- (Records Division)- 269.673.0500, ext. 4219.
- Information on all law and order matters (Sheriff’s Office Main Phone number)- 269.673.3899.
- Information on arrest warrants (Investigations)- 269.673.0500, ext. 4592.
- Information on criminal court records- (Circuit Court)- 269.673.0300.
- Information on victim’s assistance- (Victim’s Advocate)- 269.673.0235.
Crime statistics of Allegan County
In 2019, the Allegan County Sheriff’s Department dealt with about 635 criminal complaints. Around 535 of the complaints were for property crimes. There were 369 cases of larceny theft, 112 incidents of burglary, and 54 cases of motor vehicle theft in this category. Allegations of aggravated assault resulted in the filing of 83 violent crime complaints.
Almost 12,000 crimes were reported in Allegan County, Michigan, over the span of ten years between 1999 and 2008, of which nearly 1400 were violent criminal incidents. In contrast, the number of property-related crimes was considerably higher at over 10,000 instances.