A written order from the court that is handed to the police with the sole purpose of apprehending the offender in question is known as an Otsego County, Michigan active warrant. The issue of such orders requires the cops and the judiciary to work in sync with each other. Since the police have the details on a case, they are expected to serve as the informers of the judiciary when arrest warrants are to be released.
The sitting magistrate will only consider a warrant hearing when his office has received an affidavit to this effect. This writ has to come from the sheriff’s department of Otsego County. It must contain pertinent case-related information, including the name and specifics of the accused, the victim and the witnesses, and all circumstantial and forensic evidence collected.
At the pre- warrant hearing, the investigating officers are present along with the magistrate and a representative of the Otsego county clerk’s department. While the judge deliberates on the matter and the officers are expected to call in the witnesses if required, the deputy of the clerk of court merely records all the information presented.
This is taken to the department in the form of court dockets and is made part of the state repository of such records. In the meanwhile, the magistrate’s office also makes a note of the issue of the active warrant. Similarly, the sheriff’s department includes all information about the order in their database after its release.
If this decree remains unexecuted for a while, the law enforcement agency then deems it an outstanding warrant and notes this in their records. If an arrest is made through this judicial provision, information about this is included in the arrest records of Otsego County.
All of this data can be accessed by initiating a simple warrant search in Otsego through one of the agencies mentioned below.
- The Clerk of Court: 225 E Main St, Gaylord, MI 49735
- The Sheriff: 124 S Court St, Gaylord, Michigan 49735
- The Magistrate: Same as the office of the clerk of court
How do I obtain arrest records and warrant information from Otsego County over the phone? (Valid until 2021)
- To report a non-emergency, call the dispatch phone line at 989-732-3555.
- To access information about warrants, contact the Otsego County Courts’ Office at 989-731-0201.
- To get information about recent arrests, call 989-731-7289.
- To get information about the process for conducting a local criminal background check, contact the Records Division at 989-731-7285
- To reach Victim/Witness Services, please contact the Victim’s Advocate at 989-731-7431.
- To get a certified statement of criminal court records, contact the Court Clerk’s Office at 989-731-7500 (Felony) and 989-731-0217 (Misdemeanor).
Crime statistics of Otsego County
In 2018, around 65 crimes were reported in Otsego County. Of these, nearly 50 were property crimes while 15 were violent crimes.
Property crimes included more than 30 larceny-theft cases and over 15 burglary complaints, among others. The violent crime total included 9 instances of aggravated assault and 5 cases of rape.
The police have not been able to do much about the spike in violent crime rates in Otsego County, MI. This crime category showed a growth of nearly 50% from 2001 to 2008. Annually, fewer than 350 reports are filed against various criminal acts in the area; of these, just a bit over 5% are violent in nature.