In St. Joseph County, Michigan, if you are looking for a warrant search, you can approach the magistrate court, which issued the decree for detention. The office of the sheriff, which is responsible for the actual execution of such orders.
It may also be worth considering that it is the police that initiates the process of warrant issue by petitioning the court for such an arrest order. This is done through a writ that defines why a certain act is considered illicit, to begin with, and how the accused was involved in it. All evidence available in the matter is presented before the court at this point.
Depending on the pertinence of the information offered, the warrant may be issued on the spot, or the witnesses may be called in to depose in front of the judge, offering enough information in the matter for the magistrate to establish probable cause. Once the magistrate is convinced, the order is signed and handed over to the police with a copy of the affidavit. This can then be executed almost immediately or at any time after its issue.
The police, as well as the magistrate’s court, are usually forthcoming about information about all outstanding warrants issued in St. Joseph County, MI. However, you may not immediately be given details on active warrants in cases that are still being investigated. Another judicial source of information on arrest records is the office of the court clerk. They maintain all information on trial proceedings beginning at the hearing for a warrant.
To contact these agencies, you can go to:
- The office of the magistrate for information on all arrest warrants and also bench warrants: 125 W Main St, Centreville, MI 49032.
- The office of the county clerk to look through the database of civil and criminal court dockets: Same as above
- The office of the sheriff for information on arrest records, warrants, and a list of the most wanted: 650 E Main, Centreville, Michigan 49032.
Can you get information on recent arrests and active warrants from St. Joseph County over the phone? (2021-data)
- Recent arrests and criminal case-related questions: (269) 467-9045.
- Information on Victim/Witness assistance: (269) 467-5674.
- Questions pertaining to a criminal background check and arrest warrants: (269) 467-5585.
- Questions about judicial records access: (269) 467-5500.
Crime statistics of St. Joseph County
The Sheriff’s Office of St. Joseph County handled approximately 291 criminal matters in 2019. Of the complaints filed, more than 224 were against property crimes while the rest were against violent crimes.
Instances of larceny theft had the highest occurrence rate at more than 113 complaints/annum while burglary cases came in a close second with approximately 81 cases filed yearly against such crimes.
Through the ten-year period from 1999 to 2008, almost 1000 crimes were reported in St, Joseph County, Michigan. Of these instances, almost 120 were incidents of violent crime, including rape and homicide, with 25 and 6 annual complaints. The county witnessed an increase of almost 40% in the rate of violent criminal acts and aggregate crime figures over the decade.