In Chippewa County, Michigan, all arrest warrants and legal orders are issued by one or the other judicial authority. For instance, an active arrest warrant is issued by a tribunal, which has the power to rule in criminal matters. Similarly, bench warrants are used as legal instruments to bring in a person who does not heed the ruling in a civil case by a court that handles such litigations.
So, the first state authority that you ought to approach for a warrant search should be the local courthouse. In case of outstanding warrants, it would help to go to the tribunal with the powers to hear criminal cases.
On the other hand, if you are looking for information on Chippewa County, Michigan arrest records or generic crime-related data like the names and pictures of the most wanted criminals in the area, the police would undoubtedly be able to offer more in-depth details.
Of course, if you would like to peep into more than just the criminal background of a person, the office of the clerk of court will be able to furnish details on every criminal and civil case that the subject of your inquiry is involved in.
Because the county clerk’s department is in charge of the court dockets, both their preparation and recording, they will be able to provide details on more than just the outstanding warrants issued in Chippewa County against an individual. To contact these agencies for a warrant search, you will need to head to their office in person; they work out of:
- The office of the clerk of court: 319 Court Street, Sault Suite, Michigan 49783
- The office of the magistrate: Same as above
- The office of the sheriff: 325 Court Street, Sault Ste Marie, Michigan 49783
Is it possible to get information on Chippewa County arrest warrants and recent arrests over the phone? (2021-Update)
- Call the Chippewa County Corrections if you are interested in an inmate search or details of recent arrests: 906-635-7620.
- Call the Warrants Division if you are keen on a warrant search: 906-635-6355.
- Call the non-emergency dispatch phone number if you are interested in general information: 906-495-3312.
- Call the Clerk of Court if you are interested in a case search: 906-635-6320 (District Court) and 906-635-6338 (Circuit Court).
- Call the Victim Assistance Coordinator if you are interested in victim’s assistance: 906-635-6364.
Crime statistics of Chippewa County
The criminal complaints handled by Chippewa County Sheriff’s Department decreased by 52% in 2019 as compared to the prior year. In contrast, to the annual average of 36 events in 2018, around 17 cases were reported in 2019. Over 11 of the complaints were for property offences, while over 6 were for violent crimes.
An estimated 600 crimes occur in Chippewa County, Michigan, annually, of which 7% are incidents that can be categorized as violent. This includes less than 5 cases of homicide and almost 80 complaints against sexual assault. Through the decade that ended in 2008, complaints against crime increased by 50%, while violent crime instances went up by a whopping 80% plus.