In Ionia County, the police have to approach a judicial agency that holds the right to rule in criminal cases for an active arrest warrant. Although considered orders from the court for the detention of alleged offenders, arrest warrants are only issued when the sheriff’s office or the state prosecution team makes a formal request for such a decree.
An active or outstanding warrant issued in the name of a person is not an indication of guilt; however, it shows that the police have enough evidence in the case for the court to concur with the officers on the involvement of the alleged accused in the crime.
So, it is not unusual for people to rely on past arrest records and a warrant search when seeking background information on a person, whether this is done before making a job offer or even forging a personal alliance.
Fortunately, in Ionia County, Michigan, you will not have to look too far for information on arrest warrants as the state judiciary, and law enforcement are more than willing to disseminate this information to the general public. However, you will have to take a trip to the agency’s office to get your hands on this data. For a warrant search, you can go to:
- The sheriff’s department: 133 E Adams St, Ionia, Michigan 48846; telephone number: 616-527-5737
- The court of the magistrate: 100 W Main St, Ionia, MI 48846; telephone number: 616-527-5346
- The office of the clerk of court: PO Box 35, Ionia, Michigan 48846; telephone number: 616-527-5320
How do you get information about Ionia County warrants and arrests over the phone? (Updated in 2021)
- To learn more about active warrants, contact the Sheriff’s Records Unit at 616-527-5737.
- For information on recent arrests and inmate arrest history, dial the phone number of the Jail Division at 616-527-5390
- To obtain case-specific information concerning a criminal complaint, call the Detective Division at 616-527-5363.
- To get general information and to file a non-emergency complaint, call the Sheriff’s Department at 616-527-5383.
- To get information on defendants and prisoners (only for victims), call the Vine line at
- For inquiries about court dates and judicial records, contact the 616-527-5344 (District Court) and 616-527-5315 (Circuit Court).
- To know about victim services, call the District Attorney’s Office at 616-527-8226.
Crime statistics of Ionia County
Ionia County’s yearly crime rate decreased by 13% to 278 incidents in 2019. Of the cases reported, 61 were violent crimes. These included 31 rape cases and 28 violent assaults. Larceny-theft was the subject of almost 164 of the property crime complaints, while burglaries were the subject of over 35 of them.
Of the 900 plus crimes reported each year through the decade that started in 1999 and ended in 2008, nearly 8% were violent crimes with over 72 annual reports. These incidents included no less than 2 counts of homicide and nearly 25 cases of rape. Through the period mentioned above, the crime rate in Ionia has swelled by a whopping average of 85%.